Friday, December 3, 2010

A Service I Rendered to Mother Ghana




I have always seen myself as a patriotic and a dedicated child of our dear country. For this reason I have tried hard in contributing positively to the success of the country in Africa that will one day lead the world. I take inspiration from the selflessness of our founder and first president Dr. Kwame Nkrumah.

In pursuit of this agenda I have never shut the door to volunteerism. At the close of last semester of last academic year I fought hard to get my department t the University where I study to issue me with an introductory letter for an attachment (you can call it internship). This was supposed to make it easy for me to render my services freely to one of the institutions in my locality.

Unfortunately my desire to work for a rural bank because of my area of study in Mathematics and Statistics was shattered when three to four attempts to get myself attached to the institution failed. I just could not believe I was refused to work freely for that institution even when I bore an introductory letter from a reputable university in the country. But for the fact that it is a private bank I was not so bothered.

Back on campus that semester, I had lobbied my student association (Mathematics Students’ Association of Ghana) to put me on the list of students there were sending out to the National Health Insurance Scheme for attachment.

Luckily this one worked out. I was offered a temporary job as a registration officer at the Adenta Mutual Health Insurance Scheme. I think it worked out  because it was a public institution and also that  I may have impressed the manager at the short interview conducted to test my competence.

I started work immediately, and before I could blink an eye I fell so much in love with the task assigned me. I was seeing to the new registrations, renewals and replacement of Insurance cards for all manner of persons in the society. I was particularly happy attending to pregnant women who came to register for the free maternal care cards.

But this was not to last forever, my time of three months was up and I was supposed to leave back to school. I learnt a lot and gathered enough  experience as I look forward to joining the world of work one day. Among the things I learnt are:

First , it is true what they say that we should for once as Ghanaians move away our eyes of scrutiny from the politicians and put them on civil servants. I believe  they come ,if not top of the list, second to the politicians when it comes to wastage of the country’s resources. Truancy, late arrival to work are some of the bad habits these people have.

Second, the Health Insurance Scheme should be given more attention. After one pays to be hooked onto the scheme it lasts a period of not less than five months for the applicant to receive his/her card and during this period, all the applicant can do is to pray he/she does not fall sick.

I also suggest all district schemes be networked to the main scheme. This will ensure all applications are processed in time. This will also make it easy for transfers from one scheme to another be easily monitored and done.

Aside these challenges, I really enjoyed my service to the nation. I was not offered any remunerations but I got satisfied from the fact that somehow someway my country is moving on.

God bless our homeland Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails